CONTRACT COOK AND MEAL PROGRAM EDUCATOR
BARGAINING UNIT POSITION
Effective immediately until October 28, 2017
Mission Statement: Homes First Society develops and provides affordable, stable housing and support services to break the cycle of homelessness for people with the fewest housing options.
Job Purpose: prepare and deliver nutritious meals to culturally diverse residents and implement the nutrition and food preparation program to residents.
- Able to follow standardized recipes; while being aware of special dietary requirements
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work irregular hours and weekends
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Knowledge of tenant populations, diversity issues, anti-discrimination practices and systemic reasons for homelessness
- Ability to collaborate with individual and client groups, agencies and other organizations
- Ability to prepare and maintain statistical reports, basic budgeting skills
- Ability to adapt to unforeseen circumstances and be creative with meal preparation
- Ability to handle heavy loads and lift heavy cooking equipment and supplies
- Ensuring a clean and safe work environment is maintained
- Practicing excellent food safety and sanitation procedures
- Able to stand for extended periods
- Other duties as required
- Chef training, Institutional Cook or Culinary Management Diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience in large quantity cooking
- Demonstrated knowledge of foods and their preparation and knowledge of operation and care of kitchen equipment
- Experience in working in communities with marginalized and/or persons living with mental illness and/or addictions an asset
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act, hygiene and safe handling practices/techniques, Food Handler’s certificate.
- Knowledge of Shelter Standards food requirements
- Current certificates in First Aid/CPR
Working in an environment where there may be smoke is required.
The successful applicant must provide a criminal record check that is satisfactory to Homes First Society
Homes First Society is an equal opportunity employer